Michael Jackson: One is the second Michael Jackson-based production in Cirque du Soleil's roster, after Michael Jackson: The Immortal World Tour. It was announced to the public and media on February 21, 2013. In their continuing partnership with the Jackson estate, One evokes the entertainer's artistic style in several manners. The new production began previews on May 23, 2013 and the official world premiere was June 29, 2013 in Las Vegas, Nevada at the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino. Like The Immortal World Tour, this production was also written and directed by Jamie King. "Sneak peek" videos were released on the internet revealing numbers of the production, including "2 Bad", "Stranger in Moscow," "Bad" and "Smooth Criminal." However, unlike Immortal, the show only uses prerecorded tracks, with no live orchestra.
The show's plot is centered on four "misfits" who set out on a journey into Michael Jackson's world and music. By journey's end, they personify Jackson's agility, courage, playfulness and love. These values are represented with his white gloves, white socks and black shoes, hat and sunglasses.
Each of four main characters receive an object from Jackson. First, Clumsy is given the shoes, and with his newfound balance, performs a double slackline act to "Bad." Next, Shy overcomes her name when she receives Jackson's glasses, and she vanquishes a troupe of warriors in a martial arts display set to "2000 Watts" and "Jam." Then, Smarty Pants, the de facto leader of the four, puts on Jackson's hat and is imbued with the artist's legendary gracefulness in "Smile." Finally, Sneaky, the troublemaker, performs a playful manipulation act with the rogue glove to "This Place Hotel" and "Workin' Day and Night."
- Michael Jackson - the misfits' spirit guide
- Mephisto - the antagonist who represents the paparazzi and tabloid media
- Clumsy - the misfit who gains balance with Jackson's white socks and black loafers
- Shy - the misfit who uses Jackson's sunglasses to overcome her introversion
- Smarty Pants - the de facto leader of the misfits; uses Jackson's fedora to display gracefulness
- Sneaky - the troublemaking misfit who performs a playful manipulation act using Jackson's sparkly glove
- Various villains - opponents whom the misfits encounter and must defeat to complete their adventurous journey
- Warriors - The Heroes of The Show they use the white jackets and white fedoras
Also includes: "Ghosts" / "Somebody's Watching Me" / "In the Closet" / "Why You Wanna Trip on Me"
^ Webster, Andy (April 2, 2012). "Singing Pageant of Pop, With a Circus Atmosphere". The New York Times.
^ Leach, Robin (May 24, 2013). "'Michael Jackson One' is Cirque du Soleil's best — and includes snow at Mandalay Bay". The Las Vegas Sun.
^ "Cirque tells more about new Michael Jackson Vegas show". Michael Jackson One. USA Today. Retrieved Feb 21, 2013.
Retrieved from "https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Michael_Jackson:_One&oldid=848462706"